Friday, September 21, 2012

Instant Oatmeal

My kids have recently found that they love oatmeal, and they eat it most mornings for breakfast. To save money I make my own dry oatmeal mixes, then all we have to do is add water or milk when it comes time to eat. We were fresh out, so today I whipped up a large batch of cinnamon and sugar, and a cream variety. Making up a large batch a head of time will save you both time and money. That makes it worth it for me.

This is what I did:

Mix these ingredients together in a large bowl:
*2 cups powdered oats (just throw them into a blender until smooth. I have also made it without this, but the powder helps the oatmeal to thicken up a little bit when you make it)
8 cups quick cooking oats
1 1/2 Tbsp salt

If you want cinnamon add:
*2 Tbsp cinnamon
*1 C sugar
* 1/2 C dried apples (optional)

cream:
* 1/2 C sugar
*8 Tbs creamer (powdered coffee creamer)

Store in an air tight container.

To serve: Combine 1/4 cup of oatmeal mix to about 3/4 cup hot water (depending on how thick you like it). For the cream variety: serve with fresh/canned fruit of your choice (strawberries, peaches, blueberries, ect.)

No comments:

Post a Comment