Thursday, September 6, 2012

Homemade Spaghetti Sauce

It is canning season, and we have already canned green beans, peaches, salsa, and applesauce this year. We have several tomato plants, and we finally have enough ripe ones to make a big batch of our most favorite thing to can: spaghetti sauce. I will be whipping up a big batch today! I wish I knew where this recipe comes from. All I know is that I grew up on this recipe, my mom always made it, and it has always been my favorite spaghetti sauce. So now I make it for my family. We love to make a lot of this sauce to last us throughout the year. We eat a lot of spaghetti in this house! I have only bottled this sauce, but I am sure you could also store frozen if preferred.

--------------------------------------------------

Spaghetti Sauce:
10 quarts mashed peeled tomatoes (measure whole, first)
1 quart chopped celery (1 stalk)
1 quart chopped onions (about 4 big onions)
2 cups or more green peppers chopped
1/4 cup sugar
3 Tbsp uniodized salt

Cook in large pan for an hour to release some of the extra juice, and combine flavors.
Pressure for 35 minutes, or according to your pressure canners instructions.
This will make about 12 pints (I put mine up in quart size jars).

When it comes time to use the sauce, I just add cooked hamburger meat a long with a packet of spaghetti seasoning mix to the jar of sauce, simmer together, then serve over spaghetti noodles.
--------------------------------------------------

I usually make my sauce following this recipe, but it is also one that is easy to customize. I have also used red peppers, and thrown in some diced zucchini. It would also be delicious with mushrooms, and some garlic. Add whatever your family likes. It is an easy sauce to make, and so worth the effort and time put in... it will please the whole family!

NOTE: If you are not into canning, this sauce could also be frozen into quart sized bags. Just pull a bag out of the freezer when you need it, warm it up, add cooked hamburger if desired, and serve. Simple homemade sauce ready to eat when you are. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment